Statement on data protection and freedom of information
What's new - a catalogue of updates and additions to this website
This website is divided into eight main areas:
Lyons Inquiry homepage
This section of the website describes the Inquiry's remit, and includes links to key documents and press notices. It also includes Sir Michael's biographical note.
News and events
This section of the website includes details of recent and forthcoming events, and also lists press notices and other media communications.
Public debate and consultation
This part of the website is dedicated to promoting the public debate on local government, and includes links to submissions received by Sir Michael Lyons
Links to other websites
This section of the website includes links to the websites of key stakeholders in the work of the Lyons Inquiry
Publications and reports
This section of the website lists all the reports and papers published by the Inquiry to date.
The Information Commissioner's Office advises that:
For the processing of personal data to be fair, website operators who collect personal data directly from individuals must always ensure that individuals are aware of:
- the identity of the person or organisation responsible for operating the website and of anyone else who collects personal data through the site;
- the purposes for which they intend to process the personal data;
- any other information needed to ensure fairness to individuals, taking into account the specific circumstances of the processing. This will include informing individuals of any disclosure of information about them to third parties, including disclosure to companies within the same group.
To answer these questions:
- The Lyons Inquiry into Local Government is an independent Inquiry commissioned by the Deputy Prime Minister and the Chancellor of the Exchequor.
- This website operates to facilitate Sir Michael Lyon's Inquiry into local government function and funding, and any personal information gathered through this website will be used for this purpose only.
- No personal information collected by this website will be passed on to any other party during the course of the Inquiry. Once the Inquiry has reported to Government the information will be passed to either the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister or HM Treasury as part of the record of the Inquiry's work. Before the handover of information takes place it will be checked for relevance and any personal information maintained by the Inquiry which is not central to the record of the Inquiry's work will be deleted at that time. This will include email addresses and associated details of people who register to use Lyons Inquiry Interactive, except where that information is included in a formal online submission to the Inquiry.
Freedom of Information
Sir Michael Lyons has been advised that the Freedom of Information Act 2000 does not apply to his work, or the advice he receives, for this Inquiry as the Inquiry is not a Public Body as defined by the Act. However, once the record of the Inquiry's work is handed over to the Government it will become government property and will likely become subject to that Act at that time.
The Lyons Inquiry has now closed. Please direct your queries to Communities and Local Government or HM Treasury.
Communities and Local Government general enquiries helpline: 020 7944 4400
HM Treasury Correspondence and Enquiry Unit: 020 7270 4558
Further contact details are available on their respective websites
- Department for Communities and Local Government
- HM Treasury
- Local Government Association
- Local government statistics
Lyons Inquiry archive
The Lyons Inquiry website has been selected for preservation by the The National Archives. Versions of this website, including publications, published documents and selected submissions, can be accessed from The UK Web Archiving Consortium website.
Adobe Acrobat files
A number of the documents on this website are in Adobe Acrobat format, which some web browsers have difficulty displaying. Adobe Acrobat Reader software can be downloaded for free from the Adobe website if this applies to you